International Council for Traditional Music

A Non-Governmental Organization in Formal Consultative Relations with UNESCO

Minutes from Business Meeting in Limerick, 2012

Study Group on Ethnochoreology

MINUTES from the Business Meeting at the 2012 Symposium in Limerick

Thursday, July 26, 2012 (continued on Saturday, July 28)

 I. Opening remarks by Chair

II. Chair’s Announcements

III. Approval of the Minutes - Approved

IV. Matters Arising from the Minutes

The ICTM Board is in the process of instituting electronic voting and we will be doing the same in the near future.

V. Secretarial Report

The Secretary reported that she is in the process of updating the Study Group Directory, which currently contains over 230 names, although many of them are inactive at this time.  Our study group is one of the largest in the ICTM.

VI. Board Activities

The Chair gave a short overview about the electronic and personal meetings of the Board and reports about the main decisions. The topics of the meetings touched the preparation of the 2012 symposium, the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Study Group, the update of the basic study-group documents, publications and membership affairs. 

VII. Membership

The problems that some people have had renewing their membership was recognized and the hope expressed that those were now or soon would be resolved.

Carlos Yoder from the Secretariat will be visiting our symposium in the next day or two and members were encouraged to consult with him regarding any questions or problems.

VIII. Sub-Study Groups

  1. Active sub-study groups
  2. Dormant Groups
  3. Potential new sub-study groups 

IX.  ICTM Ongoing (Adrienne Kaeppler, ICTM President)

  1. Ongoing ICTM Affairs (archives, membership, etc.)
  2. ICTM Conferences past and future (Newfoundland and Shanghai)
  3. Formal notification of who will write the report for the Bulletin

Siri Maeland will write the report on the symposium for the ICTM Bulletin.

X. PUBLICATIONS Report – Elsie I. Dunin

It is important to have a tangible form of what we do. It gives our window into the rest of the organization. Our publications make tangible what we present.  One of the groups that went dormant, Iconography, published a book: Barbara Sparti, Judy Van Zile (editors) with Elsie Ivancich Dunin, Nancy G. Heller, and Adrienne L. Kaeppler. Imaging dance: visual representations of dancers and dancing, 2011. Hildesheim, Zurich, New York: Georg Olms Verlag.

  1. DVD of 10 Proceedings – This project was initiated just 2 years ago in preparation for this anniversary meeting. Covers 1988 through 2008.  A very valuable piece that entailed a lot of work in a two-year period.
  2. Trest Proceedings – Daniela Stavelová

The two sponsoring institutions, Academy of Performing Arts and the Institute of Ethnology of the Academy of Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic, were involved in the publishing. They did not have special funding, but were supported by the publishers and AMU Press. Because there was no special funding, we had to sell them rather than give them.   We have 8 more copies at this point in the office but can give you the contact information so that you can order it.

C. Cluj –Anca Giurchescu

After 6 years of waiting, we decided to go ahead and produce a paper copy of the proceedings from Cluj, which focuses on two themes: From Field to Text and Dance and Space.

 

  1. Limerick – Catherine Foley

European Cultural Contact Point is providing support for publishing the proceedings from the current Limerick symposium. Guidelines for submitting papers will be sent by August 1; please email Catherine Foley right away to let her know that you received the announcement and whether or not you can make the deadlines.  Catherine is hoping that presenters won’t have to pay for their copy, but we don’t know yet.  

Question from floor (Placida Staro): Are you thinking of having some DVDs for visuals?  Catherine Foley: No.

  1. Catherine noted that what we’ve been recording (during the symposium) would go to the archive.  It was requested that those who included you-tube clips in their presentation include the URL in their paper (as part of the citations).
  1. Dance Research Bibliography – Tvrtko Zebec

Elsie started these bibliographies. We have published five so far; Elsie did the first 3 and then it moved to the Institute of Ethnology and Folklore Research in Zagreb.  The next step was an online database – trial. Huge trouble with it and hasn’t come out with one since 2002, so it has been a long time period without bibliography.  I made a database by myself, which did not work, so now made one with the technician and FileMaker program and it can be put on the server as a web application and he is going to show us how to enter your own data.

XI. ELECTION of New Vice-Chair

Secretary Anne von Bibra Wharton said that since Vice-chair Theresa Buckland’s 2nd term is ending, we need to elect a new Vice Chair, as was announced earlier in the week.  Nominations will be taken from the floor.  Ocal Ozbilgin nominated Tvrtko Zebec and Chi-fang Chao nominated Placida Staro.  Ballots were distributed and then collected for tallying. Tvrtko Zebec had the majority of votes and was elected.

Outgoing Vice-Chair Theresa Buckland was thanked and honored for her service to the organization and Chi-fang Chao and Linda Dankworth presented her with a thank you gift on behalf of the membership.  Theresa thanked the membership, stating that it had been an honor and privilege to serve the organization and work happily done.

Tvrtko Zebec resigned the following day. At that time a new election was held and Placida Staro was elected as the new Vice-Chair.

XII. Location of next symposium (Austria, Croatia, Turkey)

Three possible locations for the next symposium were presented:

  1. On behalf of Kendra Stepputat, who could not attend this symposium, Andriy Nahachewsky presented a brief DVD presenting Kendra’s invitation to the University of Graz in Austria.
  1. Tvrtko Zebec presented an invitation to the island of Korčula in Croatia on behalf of the Institute of Ethnology in Zagreb and by Elsie Dunin for Korčula.
  1. Ocal Ozbilgin renewed the invitation to Izmir, Turkey

The timing of the symposium was discussed, including what dates would work for the inviting institutions as well as the membership.  It was noted that the current timing (latter half of July, especially the last week) seems best.  April or at the latest the end of May is the highly preferred timing for Turkey due to the heat and also for timing it to happen when their students are still around, but they also said that it was not impossible for them to host in the summer if needed.  It was asked that Easter be avoided and noted that Easter will be April 20 in 2014.  Other factors to consider included economics, including the cost of traveling to the site as well as expenses while there.  Regarding Korčula, the timing would most likely be end of June through the first week of July since after that tourist season is in full swing.  It was pointed out that since the 2000 symposium on Korčula, transportation options have improved significantly.

A straw vote was taken to see what timing was preferred:

Most preferred the current timing (2nd half of July); beginning of July had less support;

August had a medium response and June had very few votes.

The Chair Laszlo Felfoldi proposed that the membership charge the Board to get more information about costs, timing, etc. before making a final decision. This was agreed to.

A straw vote was taken to gauge the preferences of the members who were present as an addition factor for the board to weigh in making a final decision.  The results of the straw vote were as follows:

1st - Korcula, Croatia (36)

2nd - Graz, Austria (30)

3rd - Izmir, Turkey (24)

Georgiana Gore suggested that we consider discussing and/or deciding who will host in 2, 4 and even 6 years 

XIII. Discussion of Themes for the next meeting

Secretary Anne von Bibra Wharton asked for suggestions for themes for the next symposium. It was noted that the local committee usually chooses the 2nd theme, although they sometimes choose one from the list we create.  The following topics were suggested:

  • Dance and the Senses (aural, oral, touch, etc.) (24)
  • Dance and Narrative (23)
  • Dance, Celebrities and Mass Media/Dance in the Modern Age (20)
  • Mistakes and Margins (18)
  • Formal and Informal Dance Learning (9)
  • Tangible and Intangible Heritage (8)
  • Dance and Sound (scape) (7)
  • Dance and Philosophy (5)
  • Dance as Property

An initial vote (in which members could vote three times) narrowed the choices to the top 4.  (The votes from the initial vote are given in parentheses above).

A 2nd vote was then taken with voters limited to one choice. The results were as follows:

  • Mistakes and Margins [18]
  • Dance and Narrative [14]
  • Dance and the Senses (aural, oral, touch, etc.) [9]
  • Dance, Celebrities and Mass Media/Dance in the Modern Age [8]

XIV. Experiences and Suggestions/Recommendations for future Symposium (Laszlo)

The increased use of panel presentations was suggested. The return to use of keynotes, one for each theme, was also requested.

XV. Collaborations and Applications 

It was decided that this section of the meeting would be deferred to the last day of the symposium, following the Sub-Study group reports. (See below)

XVI. Any other business?

Several other items were discussed including:

  • The need to promote the study group for a wider audience.
  • How to network, use databases, etc.
  • Spreading the word about our work through online facilities in order to increase our international visibility.

The Meeting ended due to time constraints and was continued on Saturday, July 28 following the sub-study group reports.

XVII. Collaborations and Applications 

(It was decided that this section of the meeting would be deferred to the last day of the symposium, following the Sub-Study group reports.) 

  1.  C.O.S.T. (Laszlo)

Chair gave a short account on the application that was submitted last year to the European Commission (European Cooperation in Science and Technology fund) in the name of more than 40 study group members by the Institute for Musicology of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. It failed, but Bruxelles officers urged the applicants to repeat the submission in a next circle. Membership asked the Chair to prepare the new application by March 2013.    

  1. CID (Laszlo) 

This is an UNESCO organization and is the widest organization about dance. They have a big website with much useful information. 

  1. Choreomundus (Egil)

Egil Bakka presented some information about the Choreomundas program and the recent round of applications. 

D. IPEDAM  and NOFOD (Gediminas)

  1. World Alliance - Urmimala Sarkar, Asia Pacific Vice President of the World Alliance noted that three members of our study group are active in this organization which has two very active regions.  The next meeting will be in June, 2014 in Paris. The organization has networks including education and training, and so on.
  2. SEM-CORD - Tess Buckland reported that the Society for Ethnomusicology and the Congress on Research in Dance held a joint conference in Philadelphia in November 2011.  Judy Olson spoke about the dance group within SEM, which recently changed its name to Dance, Movement and Gesture.
  1. DRFI and North Atlantic Fiddle Organization (NAFCO) (Catherine)
  1. Reports re: other, related ICTM study groups
    1. Performing Arts of Southeast Asia [PASEA] (Anis Nor)

This group was started 4 years ago and just had their second meeting in Manila. They have a Facebook page.

    1. ICTM Study Group on Music and Dance in Southeastern Europe (Ocal Ozbilgin)

This group was started in 2007.  It will meet in Serbia in September 2014, organized by Selena Rakočević.

 

XVIII. Move to Adjourn

Judy van Zile moved that the meeting be adjourned.  After the motion was seconded, it passed.

 

Respectfully submitted by

Anne von Bibra Wharton, Secretary

Study Group on Ethnochoreology

 

(These Minutes were officially approved by the membership at the business meeting at the 2014 symposium in Korcula.)

 

NOTE:

The following Sub-Study Groups presented reports prior to the continuation of the Board Meeting on Saturday:

I.    Dance and Ritual (Chi-fang Chao, Secretary)

II.  19th Century Round Dances (Egil Bakka, Secretary)

III. Fieldwork (Anca Giurchescu, Secretary)

IV.   Revitalized Study Group - Movement Analysis (Siri Maeland)

V.     Music and Dance  (Jörgen Torp, Secretary)